Specimen 4 appears to be an adolescent female with long, messy, black hair and pure-white skin. She has solid black eyes and an abnormally wide mouth with black lips. She wears a plain, light-gray garment with wrist-length sleeves and a white sash around her waist. Her fingers extend into long sharp claws that are stained blood-red. Her legs from the knee down are visible, revealing them to be black.
In Endless Mode, she gains two additional forms. The first form is a more realistic and sinister version of her original design. Her face is much more detailed with large black eyes and blood around her lips. Her hair, skin, and dress remain largely the same, but now they are more detailed, with her dress being stained with blood and her belt turning red. Her hands now have long, bony fingers covered in blood, rather than the original form's claws. Lastly, her legs now match the color of her body instead of the original black color.
Her third form is very similar to her second form. The two biggest differences is her mouth is now hanging agape, showing long sharp teeth and a pointy tongue. She also has two extra pairs of twisted arms sprouting out from her back. In this form, her body and head contort and shake violently.
Specimen 4 is encountered at the conclusion of Rooms 165-166. The initial room resembles the interior of a school, consisting of a non-linear hallway connecting various classrooms, some of which contain notes offering potential insight on Specimen 4. The end of the hallway connects to Room 166, which is where Specimen 4 appears upon reaching the hallway intersection leading to the room's exits.
When Specimen 4 attacks the player, she will deal 45 damage to the player with a 3 second cooldown. She can kill the player in 3 consecutive attacks.
Because Specimen 4 appears to be a spiritual, incorporeal entity, she is capable of a few things during her chase: levitation, phasing through walls, and floating above abysses and acid pits. She moves slightly faster than Specimen 2.
When Specimen 4 kills the player, the screen shows Specimen 4 against a static background. After staring at the player for a second, she lunges toward the player, with her mouth opening several times its normal size. The scene then cuts to an image of her bloody hands holding her stomach, now visibly larger, with the notes:
"Hush now my child, you're safe now."
Although evading Specimen 4 is pretty straight-forward when it comes to mostly linear and/or short rooms, the player must always be careful when it comes to non-linear rooms and the abyss rooms.
Because specimen 4 can float and phase through walls, she completely ignores the layout of the room, always following the player's direction. This is especially dangerous in rooms such as the abyss rooms, which have constant direction changes, and spiral rooms. An advised method is to treat Specimen 4 as a regular corporeal enemy. Try to keep a fair distance from Specimen 4 and get her to follow you to avoid letting her phase through walls or float over gaps. This works especially when it comes to U-turns, as the rest of the room can be spent having Specimen 4 follow you through a normal pathway, without the burden of her cornering or ambushing you.
During her chase in Endless Mode, Specimen 4's static overlay will progressively become thicker; to the point where the player won't be able to see what's ahead. After which the static overlay resets with the sound of a camera, restoring the player's vision. This effect happens through the entire duration of Specimen 4's chase.
She moves at about the player's walking speed in this variant, but when looked at, she begins going slower than the player's walking speed. She retains her original jump scare and death screen.
"BREAKFAST WAS TOO EARLY", Specimen 4's former chase theme.
"BREAKFAST WAS TOO LATE," Specimen 4's chase theme.
"ENDLESS BREAKFAST," Specimen 4's second form chase theme.
Specimen 4's awakening sound.
Sounds which can be heard when Specimen 4 is near the player:
"La la laaa..."
"BLOOD STAINED GIGGLE", Specimen 4's death screen.
- Specimen 4 is a homage to Japanese RPGs.
- More specifically, Specimen 4's appearance was based on Sachiko, a character from the popular horror series Corpse Party.
- Before the 2.7.1 update, her death screen said "Hush now my child, your safe now." where the word "your" was in incorrect use.
- She appears to follow the trope of women turned into malevolent spirits, who often stalk the protagonists in various Japanese horror media (such as Ju-on: The Grudge, The Ring, etc.). Like those ghosts, Specimen 4 features several of their characteristics: long black hair, pale skin, dark eyes, and white clothing.
- More notably, right when Specimen 4 starts chasing the player, it will produce a death rattle, resembling that of the evil spirit of Kayako in the film Ju-on: The Grudge.
- The first time Specimen 4 appears, she is invisible until the player shines the flashlight at her. This effect disappears after leaving Room 166.
- The number 4 is heavily avoided in Japan, due to it being pronounced exactly like the word death. Specimen 4, being the fourth, is just a coincidence.
- Specimen 4 is the only specimen to have two chase themes, one heard during the first encounter, and the other during her second encounter.
- With the Endless Mode update, she also has a third chase theme during her second form's chase.
- The scream heard at the beginning of her second form's chase is in fact a part of her chase theme, something that also occurs in Monster 4's chase theme.
- Specimen 4 is the only specimen which has two different chases and separate appearances for each.
- Specimen 4's second version could be a nod to the Fatal Frame series as the use of cameras is one of central mechanics of the series.
- Specimen 4 shares the same death screen sound with Specimen 2.
- Specimen 4 is also the first enemy to take no effect when swung at with the Axe.
In addition to each of Specimen 4's forms being given a 3D model, there are now scan lines on her, and a black fog around her. The endless variant only has scan lines.
Specimen 4 now appears in Room 167 instead of Room 166. Her jaw opens as she gets closer to the player.
Her endless variant's static ability now creates a dome of static around the player, which slowly closes in until it covers the entire screen, before resetting. She is now faster than she was in the original game's Endless mode, being slightly faster than walking speed and moving at walking speed when looked at.
They both have a starting room in Endless Mode, with the endless version's room looking similar to the room where Specimen 4 appears for the first time except it's slightly changed, with black mold on the walls and a wall of static, which will disappear with the sound of a camera after the player walks up to it and the variant starts to chase.
Both variants can chase the player at any time as long as they've encountered their respective starting rooms. Escaping Specimen 4 in her normal form is easy if there is a brightly lit room, due to the fog being cast around her body. Even the blue shading from Unknown Specimen 4, the static from Specimen 4's endless form, or the effects produced by Unknown Specimen 5 can make it so she is more visible.
- The black fog around her was most likely added to give a better indication as to where she is going to come from when phasing through walls. The same can be said for some other specimens who can move through walls.
|The following information contains spoilers. To view them, click the [show] tag.|
The chase sequence consists of rooms that are specifically themed after the HD Renovation's version of the japanese school, with a lot of turns.
The penultimate room of the chase will always be the same; an area more closely resembling a japanese school, containing lockers. The last stretch of the room is a narrow corridor with a lot of turns, which make it easy for Specimen 4 to catch up to the player.
When the screen fades to black after shattering the Hellgate Source, Specimen 4 says something in Japanese, which roughly translates to: I will curse you.
Specimen 4 has been given a new death animation in the Dollhouse, which now depicts her third version coming out of a TV screen to eat the player instead of her original form. An image of a CRT TV will appear with a fleshy hole leading into it, with Japanese text on the screen:
自 分 が 入 る 様 に 作 ら れ た 穴 な ん だ
That roughly translates to:
"It's a hole made for you to enter"
Specimen 4's voice line after shattering the Hellgate Source.